Wednesday 8 August 2012

A sporty Summer!

It has been a long time, my fault!

Have been busy at work and with my all important training for the Great North Run in 6 weeks time. Time goes by fast!  So far I can manage up to 10 miles non-stop at "shuffle" pace and have competed in the Race for Life. It was not long ago that I couldn't run down my street without huffing and puffing! One more big run and that's it for me, wish me luck! If you wish to support me in my cause, please visit my Just Giving website.



And the Olympics are on too! With China topping the medals chart.  I feel patriotic - both for the UK and for China.  The UK, in my opinion, is not doing too badly at hosting the games - we clearly have the resources and grounds to do so, and we clearly have the athletes worthy to compete in the games - Jessica Ennis you are my hero!!!  I loved the opening ceremony too - everyone was looking to see how it would compare to the Beijing but it didn't - it was something completely new and innovative.  I liked very much how the torch was not given to some celebrity/sportsman but to children representing the future generation of Olympic athletes.  I also like how the Olympic flame is not one but of multiple flames, each representing a country taking part.  It was very cool.



One of the most touching moments of the Olympics is the sight of Liu Xiang crashing out of the men's 110m hurdles.  It wasn't shown on BBC's TV coverage, but as he got up and seemed to be making his way to the exit, he suddenly turned and hopped the entire 110m to the finish.  He stopped to kiss his final hurdle and was helped by fellow athletes to a waiting wheelchair amid rapturous applause. 



'The important thing in life is not the triumph but the struggle, the essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well.'  De Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympic games.   
 
Sources:

Liu Xiang
Olympics London 2012
Just giving



No comments: